Monday, March 2, 2009

What a weekend...

No more breathing tube! Tucker got his tube out on Saturday. Jeremy and I got to the hospital, the Doctor came in a few minutes later and said that they wanted to take the tube out within the hour. We had to step out, but when we came back in the room he was breathing like a big boy!

on Sunday I got to hold him for the first time. He only gets to get out of bed once a day for about 10 minutes, but we'll take it.


Jeremy's turn was first thing this morning. I cried and cried watching him get to hold him, 7 days in between snuggles is too long for a Daddy. I'm hoping that maybe they'll let me hold him again tonight, but we'll see.
They have Tucker on oxygen through his nose, and they're slowly trying to decrease how much help he needs keeping enough in his body. His lungs are getting better, but are still very sensitive, they might end up giving him a steroid to try and boost his efforts a little bit. Whenever his little world is shaken his breath rate goes up, so they need him to be able to stay a little more consistent. He is eating through a feeding tube, they tried to give him a bottle once, but the breathing/sucking/swallowing all at once was too much for him. He does love his binky though.

Sorry about the blogging lull, we've had a busy weekend. Our friend, Kirsten (thanks so much) hooked us up with some of her family (thanks so much) that lives outside of Spokane, we spent Saturday night with them, and were able to go to Sacrament on Sunday. It was nice to be in a home, and feeling like more of family for a while. We are grateful for the open arms and hospitality of what were total strangers at this time last week. We now are in the Ronald McDonald House, just a few blocks from the hospital. We'll be able to stay here until Tucker gets to come home. We feel good being here since its close enough for me to walk (they also have a shuttle to the hospital) when Jeremy has to go back to Pullman with the car. We've been taken care of everywhere we go, but we're glad to not be an imposition to anyone, and kind of feel like we can set up "home base" now that we know we're here until the end.

11 comments:

Kate Clayton said...

Those are wonderful pictures. They gave me chills. I am glad things are getting better every day.

Kirsten said...

Yay!! I'm so glad he's slowly getting better! I'm glad that things worked out living situations wise. And I'm glad that you get to be so close to your little one now! I also hope that you get to snuggle with him again very soon! You guys are in our prayers.

NicKim Family said...

Oh I'm so glad you got into the Ronald McDonald House! I kept thinking I should have put you on the list when I called, so I'm glad you were able to get in so quickly! He is looking great - as are you! It will be nice when Maeli can join you.

Anonymous said...

Such a doll!! You're all looking good. He's made a lot of progress and I'm so glad you both get to hold him even for only minutes at a time. Very soon this will all be in the past and you can cuddle him to your hearts desire. Give him a bit of one from gr gramma. Love to all. gram

Anonymous said...

Such a doll!! You're all looking good. He's made a lot of progress and I'm so glad you both get to hold him even for only minutes at a time. Very soon this will all be in the past and you can cuddle him to your hearts desire. Give him a bit of one from gr gramma. Love to all. gram

Anonymous said...

I really didn't repeat myself. My fingers just do what they want lately whether I want it or not!

Tu Cute said...

I am so glad to hear that he is doing so well! I am glad that you are so close, that is great. Let me know when you are ready for more visitors.

Anonymous said...

Hey my friends!! I am so glad that your little man is doing so much better and that you finally got to hold him. What a great moment ;) We love you and miss you guys so much and can not wait for you all to come home. Kisses, hugs and prayers....Ami

Jessica from Daisydotdesign.blogspot.com said...

Yeah!!! What a big step!!! I'm excited to hear about Tucker's progress. We'll keep praying for you guys and can't wait til you get to be home as a family!!

Anonymous said...

I love the smile on your face, there is nothing greater than a mother's love for her children, and you have a very beautiful family. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family..carol

Bailey said...

I'm so glad you got to snuggle your sweet babe. I'm glad to hear that things are improving for you! He is such a little cutie.